Permanent exhibition - Room 3

From the reform-period to the 20th century.

In the Reform-Period the political and artistic life of the country has produced famous personalities who were faithful to their church at the same time. Their activities in the national and clerical life have proved to be of abiding value.

It was the war for independence against the Habsburgs which forged the powers of the Hungarian Lutherans with that of the people of the country. It is not by chance that the XX. Article of the law issued in 1848, declaring the total equality and mutuality of the denominations, was composed by the Lutheran Lajos Kossuth.

The Lutheran wife of the Habsburg Palatine Joseph, Maria Dorothea (1797-1855 witnessed to the vivid life of the Reform-period. She had participated in the life of the Pest-congregation since 1819. György Bauhofer (1806-1864) was chosen as her court-pastor. It was she who established an independent Lutheran parish in 1844. Maria Dorothea promoted the building of the first Lutheran Church and school in the Buda-Castle (today Dísz-tér).         

From the last decades of the 19th century Lutheran educational centres of great tradition began to play an important role again. There were three theologi­cal academies, two academies of law, several teacher-training colleges, grammar and civil schools. They served both the church and the whole national culture. Numerous later Nobel Prize winners and artists attended these Lutheran educational centres. The last two cabinets present the 20th century history of the Lutheran Church; the changes of its status in the State and society. 

Lutheran Museum,
1052 Budapest, Deák tér 4.
Tel.: +36/20 824-3864
eom@lutheran.hu